Although the form of this sculpture in bronze is reminiscent of a mother and child, its title is quite deliberate. Dame Barbara related the sculpture to its location in the environment as well as evoking a sense of being part of the landscape.
This figure is recognisable as the work of Dame Barbara and blends naturally with the growing forms of trees and shrubs around it.
Its presence on the University campus is entirely due to the artistic flair of the late Canon W Moelwyn Merchant, Professor of English at the University, 1961-1974, whose friendship with the sculptress facilitated the siting of her sculpture on the campus.
Born in Yorkshire in 1903, Dame Barbara trained at the Leeds School of Art and the Royal College of Art. In 1950 she set up a studio in St Ives where she lived until her death in 1975.